El Campesino

El Campesino
6630 Highway 53 East
Dawsonville, GA 
(706) 216-3036


Okay, this was my second time going for Mexican food since moving to Dawsonville. I found this restaurant by random when I decided to take Highway 53 home instead of 400.  My wife and I were in the mood to get out of the house on a Friday night and wanted to try a new place (new to us).

About El Campesino:

Owned by the Guzman brothers, Salvador and Carlos, El Campesino opened its doors in 1997 in Dawsonville. The brothers learned the art of Mexican cuisine from their mother in Guanajuato, Mexico. They had always dreamt of providing food and a warm atmosphere to patrons of their restaurant. They currently own and operate two locations (Dawsonville and Cleveland, GA)


Drink: Margarita

Score: 9 out of 10

Comments: The margaritas at El Campesino give you a lot for your money. The one in the picture is the large and took the whole meal to finish it. The taste of the liquor was not overpowering, but it does hit you pretty hard.















Food: Chori Queso

Score: 9 out of 10

Comments: I could eat this for days on end. Part of me wanted to try something different as an appetizer, but I wanted to compare it to the one I had at another restaurant last month. This was by far better than any other queso or choriqueso I've had previously. It was more than just Chorizo and queso. You can taste the different spices used in the dish.
(This was the small order of the Chori Queso and I would have eaten about 2 of the large orders had I known it was this good.)








 Food: #9 Combo (Beef Enchilada, Taco, and Quesadila). 

Scores:

Beef Enchilada: 8.5 out of 10
Comments: This was the best part of the dish. The sauce was amazing and kept using what was leftover to dip my quesadilla into. The meat was seasoned well and had a decent helping of cheese to top it off. I wish there would have been more (which I can understand there wasn't as it was a combination dish).






Chalupa: 7.5 out of 10
Comments: The chalupa in itself was good. However, there were a few issues I had with it. First, occurred when I attempted to pick up the chalupa to eat it. Before I could take a bite, the whole thing fell apart and left all the food on the plate. The second issue was in the ingredients. I am not a fan of beans on my tacos and would have considered a different dish had I known this in advance. That being said, I did enjoy what I was able to put together.

Quesadilla: 8 out of 10
Comments: This was the one where I felt like I was on a seesaw. It was a cheese quesadilla, which I expect there to be the tortilla and cheese. I did enjoy it, but I wish there would have been a sauce, salsa, or something to accompany it (I used the enchilada sauce.





Food: Chimichanga

Score: 8.5 out of 10

Comments: This was my wife's dish which she let me sample. I have not eaten a chimichanga before, but I did enjoy what I tasted. The meat was seasoned very well and made me want to keep coming back for more. Their guacamole is something I would take a basket of tortillas and eat it all day. This is something I might have to order for myself during my next visit.









Food: Sopapilla

Score: 9 out of 10

Comments: Something so simple, yet so delicious. I am not a big fan of cinnamon, but this was amazing. The cinnamon flavor wasn't powerful. The warm butterscotch paired nicely with the Cinnamon and whipped cream. Yum, give me more. I will order this every time I'm there.















Cleanliness Score: 9 out of 10
Family Friendly Score 8.5 out of 10
Comment: El Campesino was a place I could take my son. He had screamed his head off when we first arrived and no one batted an eye. I also like the TVs in the restaurant played something other than sports. In fact, one of them was playing a Disney movie which can help keep kids calm.

Service Score: 9.5 out of 10
Comment: I was very impressed by the service here. Our waitress was new (it was her first day) and she was friendly, engaging, and had great timing with the food, drink refills, and to check on us. The owner/manager stopped by to check on us during the meal and noticed I was low on my drink and took care of the refill as well. He saw me walking up to pay the bill and stopped to shake my hand and ask how was everything. 

Overall Score: 8.7
Final Comments: I was beyond impressed by the food and service we received while dining at El Campesino. This is a restaurant I will be frequenting when I'm in the mood for good Mexican food. As an added note, the chips and salsa they start you off with were delicious. The salsa had a nice kick to them and could have made a small meal out of eating that alone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Village Tavern

Cookout-Review